That first group of women understood that they had been given authority to teach, inspire, and organize the sisters as disciples to assist in the Lord’s work of salvation. In their first meetings the sisters were taught the guiding purposes of Relief Society: to increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.

Julie B. Beck, General Relief Society President

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dear Sisters,
          I agree with Elder Gene R. Cook.  The perfect Christmas would be putting more of Christ into our Christmas.  What would Jesus Christ give if he were with us today?  Do you enjoy giving more than receiving?
         I remember when my children were little we would prepare cookies and candies.  Then we would climb into the car and go caroling to homes and deliver our goodies.  I love those wonderful memories of sharing at Christmas time.  We have also been the recipients of gifts at a difficult time in our lives and how thankful we have felt. 
        I wish that the kind acts that are so abundant at this time of year would continue throughout the year.  Don’t you love the music, smells, lights, the feelings at Christmas time.  People just seem to love a little more.  Gathering turkeys and the trimmings to leave at someone’s home,  then knocking and running as fast as one can so no one knows who the gift bearers are.

Elder Cook suggests a few things we might do to have a great Christmas.
1.  I will do acts of charity for others.
2.  I will seek to give of myself spiritually to others.
3.  I will find someone to help and to pray for.
4.  I will secretly fast for someone who has a problem.
5.  I will extend my love to all.
6.  I will comfort the sick.
7.  I will visit widows and the homeless and share with them the scriptures.
8.  I will sing with someone who needs to sing.

       The list of Christ like activities could go on and on throughout the year so that everyday would feel like Christmas.  May your home be blessed this Christmas and throughout the coming year.

Merry Christmas!

Love,
Bannah Hanover
1st Counselor, Stake Relief Society

No comments:

Post a Comment

UP-COMING EVENTS

March 24th - Stake Relief Society Super Saturday Activity "Hands of Heaven". Mark your calendars now for this awesome day!