That first group of women understood that they had been given authority to teach, inspire, and organize the sisters as disciples to assist in the Lord’s work of salvation. In their first meetings the sisters were taught the guiding purposes of Relief Society: to increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.

Julie B. Beck, General Relief Society President

Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Dear Sisters,

Well, we said hello and good-bye to 2009 and it doesn't seem like there was any time at all in between. Now 2010 is here and it seems strange to say "ten" instead of "oh nine" but I assume we will get used to it as the year progresses. I have now been in this calling for a year and have enjoyed meeting and visiting with a great number of you over the year. I have met so many new sisters and gotten re-acquainted with others. It has been such a joy to serve you, worship with you, and, hopefully, be your friend.

As we look to the new year, I am hopeful that we can all focus on those things that are truly important in our lives. Over the last year, several of my friends have moved on to the next part of their journey and I miss them. This loss has caused me to think more about what are really the most important parts of what I do. I realize that some of the things I worry about are things I can't control. I know that some of my time is spent in doing things that could probably be let go, so that I can spend more time on the things that matter most. But, most of all, I have tried to learn to enjoy the present, especially when I am with members of my family. Our time together is short and I am learning to relax and just enjoy being with them. I don't have to do anything for them, just enjoy them. Laundry, dishes, dusting, or cleaning can usually wait. Time with others is so much more important because it is those relationships that will last into the eternities. None of our earthly possessions will go with us. As I like to say, "There are no U-Hauls behind the hearse."

It is my hope that each of us can live in the present, enjoy being with others, and sharing of our spirit with those around us, whether at home, at school, at church, at work, or even at the grocery store.

My love to you all,

Pat Romney

From Maria Standiford, 1st Counselor

This month’s Ensign has some wonderful information about the lesson curriculum for the new year. The new manual is discussed on page 28 and some guidelines for First Sunday lessons on page 32. The focus is really on letting the Spirit guide you to know what will be of the most help to the sisters in your Relief Society. Sister Beck says, “On the first Sunday, a member of the Relief Society presidency can personalize the work of Relief Society. She can focus on charitable works as solutions to specific ward or branch needs. She can train the sisters to be visiting teachers who address the needs of others as they find them. And when appropriate, she can make assignments to help specific people in need” ( 37).

2 comments:

  1. i lov e this site. the music is beautiful. today i am home because of my handicapped son and i didn't miss relief society. i read the lesson here. what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. President Romney

    I do enjoy reading this blog. I am grateful for all the wonderful sisters in our Stake and all that you and they do! We just sent our last load of grandchildren back to their home today and I sure hope they enjoyed their time with Kathy and me as much as we enjoyed our time with them. I attempted to focus on spending time with them and not worrying about the mess and finger prints everywhere. Not sure how good of a job I did; but I did enjoy their visit.

    Larry Porter

    ReplyDelete

UP-COMING EVENTS

March 24th - Stake Relief Society Super Saturday Activity "Hands of Heaven". Mark your calendars now for this awesome day!